Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Doubt... Or what I call, The Prison of Dreams

How often does doubt become a prison for our dreams?

Shakespeare said, "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."

I have had this quote hanging on my desk ever since I started writing for more than just myself. It is so true!

How often do we allow our doubts, whether of ourselves or our abilities, to dictate our dreams? How often do we give up before we've really even started, because of fear and doubt?

One of my favorite poems of all time is Invictus by William Ernest Henley. (And what better example of pursuing your dreams, beyond mountains of obstacles, than Nelson Mandela, right?)

For those of you drowning in doubt and fear here are some words of comfort from an incredibly intuitive writer.
INVICTUS By William Ernest Henley
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole.
I thank whatever gods may be.
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance,
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the horror of the shade.
Yet the menace of the years,
Finds and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul. 

Do not doubt. Just do! Even if you can't change your circumstances, you can change how you deal with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment