Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Embracing My Nerdiness



Funny, when I was younger the idea of being unlike everyone else was appalling, yet now as an adult I thank God I am not like everyone else. 

When I was younger I would have been afraid to admit I wanted to be Princess Leia when I grew up, or if I had the choice, I would live in Narnia over this world, any day. I lived for fantasy and science fiction. I watched Star Wars, Star Trek, and Battle Star Galactica with my big brothers religiously. Occasionally, whenever they were feeling kind toward their annoying little sister, they allowed me to join in their light-saber and blaster battles, sword fights, and mystical power encounters. 
 
Anything space or fantasy related I ate it up. I wanted to be an astronaut more than anything else—until I learned that traveling through hyper-space and actually landing on Endor to hang out with Ewoks was extremely unlikely. I stuck to the fictional world after that.

I wish so bad I could go back and tell that little girl there is nothing more beautiful than dreams. I’d tell her it’s more than okay to hope for something beyond the everyday; that it’s not just okay, but so INCREDIBLE to be unique and like or do things that some people call weird or nerdy. What a boring world this would be if we were all the same. Diversity is an amazingly fabulous God given gift.

My husband heard someone say once that being a nerd means you’re passionate about something. Well, I’m passionate about my family, books, and everything fantastical. 

I’m proud to be a nerd.

Who wants to be a lemming anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment