Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

"Eating and reading are two things that combine admirably." C.S. Lewis

So . . . I haven't posted for about two months. Shame on me. I know, I know.

Why haven't I posted?

Top five reasons (none of them are very good):
  1. I haven't been able to think of anything good to blog about 
  2. I'd rather read what everyone else has to say
  3. Daylight Savings reared it's ugly head and my hibernation instincts are kicking in
  4. I'm super frustrated with the publishing world right now and I'm not writing anything--no blog posts, no books--just to spite them. (Okay, I know that's not true, but I wish it really did some good to go on strike)
  5. I've been spending my free time working on my studio--this is probably the only legitimate excuse . . . sort of
Do I have something wonderful to blog about today?

Nope.

But I read a couple great posts this morning that have made me pause and think. Time to stop worrying about getting published and write because I love it . . . . I know, I know, I say this a LOT, but the execution of the declaration is the hard part. I know what I need to do, but in the back of my head is always the question--will I hear back from one of them today? Should I self-pub or keep querying (which feels like beating my head up against the proverbial wall)? Or just quit the whole querying, blogging, social-networking, mind-boggling, never-ending requirements to make it in the publishing world and just be content with writing because it's great therapy?

The posts were really, REALLY good. I went away with some great advice: Be positive. Quit complaining. Remember the reasons you started writing in the first place. Write because you love it and stop beating yourself up about it. Give yourself credit for finishing/rewriting your drafts--stop making your manuscripts cry.

So, while I didn't come up with a great post to show what I've been doing for the last two months, here's a link to some awesome ones, and in Emily's post she's got links to two other great posts. If you are in the least bit discouraged or just want to smile you should go check them out.

Go ahead and grab your favorite candy bar and get reading! (If you're looking for a few good books too, I just finished Emerald Green, the last book in the Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier. They were a lot of fun:)

 P.S.
Anyone else excited for Thor . . . and Man of Steel DVD on Tuesday?!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or counting down the days for the release of  The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug? It's the only thing I'm looking forward to this winter (well, I guess Christmas can be in there too. . . .)


A Complaint Free World ~ Emily R. King 
I have yet to read one of Emily's posts and not come away feeling uplifted and rejuvenated.

David Powers King  is also a fun one to read. He not only has good advice and informative posts, his style is witty and entertaining. He makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment